It is now being reported that Mike Pompeo is unlikely to be approved by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. GOP Senator Rand Paul will join all 10 Democrats on the committee in denying him approval.
STOP POMPEO’S CONFIRMATION: Call These Six Senators NOW!
However, the Republican leadership plans to bring his nomination to the floor anyway. With the Senate so closely divided, Pompeo needs at least one Democrat or Independent to vote for his approval.
These three are considering voting for Pompeo:
- Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia
- Democratic Sen. Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota
- Independent Sen. Angus King of Maine
These two Democrats have not announced their preference and could vote for Pompeo:
- Sen. Claire McCaskill of Missouri
- Sen. Joe Donnelly of Indiana
Republican Senator Mike Lee of Utah is a possibility for oppose Pompeo