There have been more than 150 cyber attacks on web resources of LPR organisations and enterprises since the beginning of this year, the Republic’s Telecom and Mass Communications Minister Mikhail Surzhenko told a news briefing at Lugansk Media Centre on Thursday.
“The first attempts of interference with the operation of LPR web resources were recorded in late 2015 as LPR leader’s and Council of Ministers’ websites came under massive DDos attack,” Surzhenko said.
“This year alone, more than 150 attacks or illegal access attempts have been made on computers of LPR state-owned enterprises and organisations,” the minister said.
“This activity shows the work is being carried out towards disrupting the functioning of the Republic’s information networks and electric communication systems with the aim to block the operation of government bodies,” he said.
The official added that LPR’s IT specialists’ professional actions prevented serious damage which the wrongdoers might have otherwise caused.
Earlier, the Telecom and Mass Communications Ministry reported that cybercriminals had compromised the Narodnaya Tribuna website placing unauthentic information on main webpage.
Lugansk administration said that its official website had been inaccessible for some time following a hacker attack.
In mid-September 2016, the website of LPR Prosecutor General’s Office came under massive cyber attack.
Hackers compromised more than 15 LPR websites and over 20 mailboxes of LPR bodies and organisations in two weeks and also attacked LPR State Security Ministry and LPR state-owned Television and Radio Company web resources.
DDos attacks utilise malware to gather, destroy or modify information and compromise hardware or use it for improper purposes.